Skip to main content

From Chibok with Love. (A Short Story)

Soon all this will be over, all this talk and whisper. This is my time and I will not spend another day in wait. The streets are clear as we move through them. No police, no traders, no beggars or tourists. The streets are empty for us. There is nothing in our way except for the stray goats and local birds who judge us with their melodious chirps as we make our way out into the town. Soon it will all be over. Mercy and Grace are both behind me. I cannot see them but I know that they are there. Baba is in front of me. He will be most  pleased when all this is over. He says it all the time. This is what needs to happen for Goodness sake. 
A year ago I came here afraid but I don't know the meaning of fear anymore. It came some nights in the  form of loud explosions and some nights it was a silent shadow. Some days it was the thought of  going home, on other days it was the dread of forgetting where home is. This morning it is nothing. One year later and the world still carries on, like Baba said it would. He was right. He is always right. Baba is a wise man, a man of God. He knows this world in all its treachery and that is what he has showed us…those of us who agreed to see. He has taught us that fear is death and death is nothing. Time is the only thing that matters and this is my time. As I enter the van I feel something tighten in my stomach. I haven't eaten anything except a ball of Fura and water which Baba was so kind to offer me. I am not hungry. Hunger is weakness. What I feel in my stomach is anxiety. He said this would happen. Baba knows everything. I want to turn and say goodbye to mercy and Grace but Baba grabs my hand and I realize that I have no time to be sentimental. Their time will come.
 The drive into the city is long and I am anxious to see the place I once called home but before long I am fast asleep.  I dream of my childhood, I see mami and little Bilikisu sitting in front of our house drying millets, an empty chair beside them with my favorite skirt carefully laid on it. Before I can reach them, I am awoken to the sound of the screeching break pads as we pulled into a compound. It looked deserted.  Baba led me into a room at the far end of the unpainted building. He entered the room and held the door for me to enter. The room was engulfed in darkness after he shut the door. A torchlight came on followed by Baba’s voice. He made me take off my blouse while a second man whose face I could not make out, strapped a belt across my chest with a block of metal resting on my breasts. It was cold. Heavy. Baba made me lay on my back on the counter while the second man put the finishing touches to the contraption. Baba helped me up and I put my hijab back on. “let’s go” he says as we make our way out of the dark room, back into the van. The belt is a bit uncomfortable, I am not sure where the buckle is because it has been wrapped with plastic tape.
On the streets I see posters of politicians with different party logos and promises of restoration, transformation, change and hope. Our van is approaching a crowd when the driver stops. Baba looks me in the eye, just as he has been for the past year. He tells me to be brave and to repeatedly recite the prayer he taught me. I begin “The world is truly full of evil and lies. Blessed am I for I have known the truth. This day I bring the truth to the world. May God be praised” I repeat it as I disembark from the van and walk toward the people standing in queues. Policemen are positioned all around so I walk directly to the crowd and pick my spot in their midst like Baba instructed. The tightening in my stomach is back. I look over my back to find a woman starring at me, lost. It is Mama, beside her is Bilikisu, my sister. Just before I can turn to run from them, I feel a slight tingle in my chest and everything was blank.
 I am not afraid. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The New Nigerian

Something remarkable is happening in Nigeria. There is a new generation of pan Nigerians emerging onto the scene. A group of young, driven, hopeful and hardworking dreamers, developers, and leaders who see beyond the limitations and drawbacks of political and socio-economic issues and are buying into a vision of a new world, a vision which is exploding at an exponential rate worldwide. A dream so big that it overshadows with ease, decades past of mistakes and offers incredible opportunities for the future and indeed the very present.   This group of people is not from Mars. They are amongst you and your friends. As a matter of fact, many of them have been dismissed by you and your friends as pipe dreamers or whatever else you might choose to call them. Call them what you will but they are here to stay and believe it, so are their dreams. I attended a conference recently where the majority of attendees were young entrepreneurs between the ages of 19 and 35. These folks and tho

Spare Me Your Outrage

Whenever I see a post that starts with "Pray for so and so", it irks me. The reason is not that I am against prayers or insensitive to the plight of the suffering, but more because I find it nauseating that people only feel compelled to pray for one place or the other only when the hype calls for it. So it is 2017 and slaves are still being sold. I see people getting on their phones and going "I cannot believe this is happening in 2017".  We all want to make trendy posts about the stuff like we only realised the existence of this issue yesterday and like nobody sold slaves in the years preceding 2017. Have you ever wondered where the diamonds and jewellery you are so in love with comes from?  How many of us can claim to really care about this stuff? Because slavery is not an end in itself but rather a means to something that does not seem to outrage people enough; CHEAP LABOUR! Please spare me your outrage and stop pretending that your being outraged on Instagram 

A dance In blood

It won’t be long before we all will be saying the things we have always known we would come to say if things continued the way they have up to this point. For the first time in the history of this country there are two separatist groups, officially declared terrorists   by the state operating in the North East and South East of our beloved nation. It is quite literally a matter of things falling apart and the centre being unable to hold. The poor handling of the Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB situation has presented us with a bit of a quagmire in the now troubled south eastern region of the country. We, the vastly silent majority who just want to live peacefully, are all cried out! We are yet again at the precipice. It’s the usual pre election year dance and everyone is playing dress up. Some are in the dated costumes of reverence and some are dressed as pythons. We dance along with pythons and men in Isi Agu, singing the monkey’s song and all the while fated to bear the burnt of a fire we did